Autumn has arrived and our immune system is immediately put to the test. More and more people are beginning to develop colds. A cold is caused by a contagious virus that spreads rapidly at certain times of the year. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent the virus from catching you.
We all have a cold. For some people it just seems to belong there every time. That can be very annoying, because with a big virus you can feel pretty bad. But not everyone really gets sick of it. Some people seem to tolerate the cold more easily than others, almost without complaints. Sniffing, coughing and sneezing are often the only signs of their cold. While some people get fever and headaches and sometimes end up in bed. How is that possible? Bad luck? No. Luckily it has nothing to do with that. You have a lot of influence on your ‘disease process’. How sick you get from a virus depends on how strong your immune system is, how well your intestines function and how much waste material your body has to process. How healthy you eat and live is therefore very important.
Fighting a cold is one thing, but of course it is much better if you can prevent a cold from getting there! That’s why I like to give you tips on how to boost your immune system so that you can enormously strengthen your resistance against the virus. If you apply these tips, they will make sure that the cold virus passes your door! Even if you already have a cold, you can apply these tips to get rid of it quickly.
This will give your immune system a boost:
- Eat many products that are naturally rich in vitamin C. The vitamin stimulates our body to produce white blood cells. These in turn ensure that a virus is actively fought. The less these products are processed, the more vitamin C they contain.
- Add a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables to your diet. They are rich in fibres that improve the functioning of your intestines. If the virus does get hold of you, you’ll have less of a problem and get rid of it faster.
- Drink less coffee during the periods when there is a cold and the flu. If you drink a lot of coffee, you also lose a lot of vitamin C. If you have a cold or are about to get one, it’s better to replace it with herbal tea or cereal coffee.
- Avoid refined sugars and everything that contains them. Refined sugars stimulate the growth of bad bacteria in your intestines, among other things. This weakens your immune system.
- Take sufficient (night) rest and ensure daily relaxation. This stimulates your immune system.
- These tips can also be used to get rid of a cold quickly.